Friday, December 9, 2011

Say what?

Our college girl is home for the Christmas holidays now, and she's been a huge help with Little Bit.  Yesterday she fed him his afternoon bottle, played with him on the living room floor, got him into a giggling fit, and kept him occupied for an hour or so while I was busy in the kitchen getting dinner ready and baking cinnamon rolls for this morning's breakfast.  (Umm, the cinnamon rolls didn't last that long...they were pretty much consumed before bed last night...but anyway...) 

As it got later, Clayton became fussy.  He's an awfully good baby, but by 5:30 or 6:00 pm he's sort of done with the charming smiles and adorable cooing and babbling for the day.  And Darling Daughter is a tremendously talented babysitter and loves caring for kids, but she was nearing her wit's end and had run out of ideas when she brought the baby into the kitchen and handed him over to me, "Here, Mom, I don't know what else to do...  I've fed him, burped him, changed him, bounced him, tickled him, played with him...I don't know what he wants, so he's all yours." With that, she turned on her heel and retreated happily to her room to facebook and itunes. 

That's when one of the boys stuck his size 9 teenaged foot right in his mouth.  He half-jokingly made the comment, "This is why 18 year olds should NOT have babies!  They don't know what to do and it never works out well.  Their kids probably won't turn out very well."

Spoken like a true smart a$$.

I couldn't help myself.  I had to laugh!

Hubby turned around and said, "So that's what's wrong with the four of y'all?!!" 

(Our oldest was born about a month before my nineteenth birthday...twenty-two wonderful years ago.)

The slightly obnoxious teenager quickly changed his tune, "Oh, uh, I mean, well, except NOT for you and Dad...because y'all are great parents and we uh...well, you're not too young cause you're in your forties now so...uh...and we sure are glad we don't have really OLD parents and all...yeah...ummm...SOME people would probably do a good job at any age!  Like y'all!  So...never mind!" 

Well, OK then.  I'm glad you cleared that up for us, dear.

I think we've done a pretty good job with the four we were given.  Perhaps one of them could stand to broaden his mind a bit, but overall, they're terrific kids.  Or young adults. Or whatever it is that they are now.

I'd like to add, though, that I am certainly NOT ready to become a grandma just yet, so I'm very glad that none of MY kids have had kids at eighteen...nor are any of them planning to reproduce in the near future.

I hope. 

Give me five years, at least.  Please? 




No comments: