Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Here we go again...

Three and a half years ago Darling Daughter had surgery to replace her completely ripped ACL with a piece of hamstring taken from the muscle in her leg.  While he was digging around in there, the doctor cleaned up her meniscus as well.  A few months (and a whole lotta physical therapy) later, she was released to "do whatever she wanted." 

Let's just be clear...those are not really words that should ever be said to our daredevil daughter.  You just never know what she's going to want to do...

Which is why I spent the morning in the orthopedist's office, dangling a sleepy four-month-old off one hip, as my now college-age girl explained how she first felt the snap, crackle, and POP in her left leg while POLE VAULTING and realized through volleyball,surfing, running track, and JIU JITSU that perhaps..just maybe...the fact that she can't get out of her bed in the morning without rotating her lower leg back into place could mean that something is WRONG with it.

If only I had a picture of the poor doctor's face when she casually mentioned pole vaulting. 

And so, MRI in the next week and surgery to follow as soon as she's out of school for the summer.  For now, she's no longer allowed to run.  Or jump. Or to do anything that requires her leg to take a pounding.  She is allowed to walk, bicycle, swim, and go to Spain...which means she's still moderately happy.  As long as Spain isn't out, it's all good. 



2 comments:

a Tonggu Momma said...

Oh, no! For her that must feel like a life sentence. I've missed you. Hope all is otherwise well. We've had better weeks, but I know life will return to normal soon. I hope, anyways.

The Source said...

Thanks, TM. She's OK with it...I think she knew it was inevitable when she was calling me from her dorm room "Mom, I'm stuck in my bed and can't straighten my leg and my roommate's asleep and I have class in an hour..." As long as there's a light at the end of the tunnel!

I hope you get good news for Squirt. Seizures are no fun. Zach had partial seizures...I was always fearful of letting him out of my sight just in case. Heather and I are keeping your baby girl in our prayers! And you, too. I know the added stress and worry must be weighing on you. Please let us know how she's doing.