Saturday, April 23, 2011

Cravings? Or Aversions

First, a little business:

** Momster, Hezra, Lorrie, and Heather  ~ Your copies of Outlander are on the way to you even as I type!  Leave me a comment and let me know they arrived!  **

**Patty ~ I have one reserved for you, but need an address in order to mail it.  Please drop me an email at fourmonsters (at) yahoo (dot) com and I'll get it mailed to you first thing Monday!


I was just reading Lindsay's post about pregnancy cravings over at Suburban Turmoil.  I'm amazed at some of the freaky things woman want to eat just because they're expecting.  I mean, ok, there was a serious risk that Darling Daughter would be born with a caramel & nougat center, packed with peanuts and coated in chocolate, but there's really nothing odd about craving Snickers candy bars, is there?   With the twins, it was Baskin Robbins peanut butter & chocolate ice cream.  Are you seeing a trend here?  I've always been addicted to anything with peanut butter, chocolate, or peanut butter and chocolate.  It's a serious problem.  I blame my parents.  This is where I ramble on about nothing for an entire paragraph...

You see, when my sister and I were small, they took us out for ice cream after gymnastics practice sometimes.  Back in the 70's and early 80's, Baskin Robbins used to have a "Flavor of the Month" contest and they'd feature some pretty off-the-wall stuff for a few weeks at a time.  Well, peanut butter & chocolate was a Flavor of the Month.  Luckily, it hung on for quite a while, and although I seem to remember my sister bravely trying new flavors from time to time, I never did.  From first lick, it has always been PB & C for me.  Anyway, at some point, the people at Baskin Robbins warned my parents that they were discontinuing that creamy, delicious, heavenly flavor!  In order to save me from certain instant death, they bought a freezer full.  Humongous cartons filled our basement freezer for months and we were thrilled beyond belief.  My poor unsuspecting parents fed my addiction as surely as if they have been handing over cigarettes.  I may be able to drive past an ice cream shop without a backward glance, but just let me walk in the door of an ice cream shop and I react like a recovering smoker without a nicotine patch!  I gotta have a scoop!

By the way, thirty years later, Baskin Robbin still sells PB & C ice cream.  And I...have rarely eaten another flavor.  Oh, I may taste something else on a tiny pink spoon, but I am a creature of habit and I cannot refuse a chance to consume what I know I will love! 

Now, back to the pregnancy thing:  While I had a few cravings while carrying my kids, I tended to go through several months of extreme vomiting with every gestational period.  Every.  Pregnancy.  Got.  Worse.  I ended up losing more weight than I gained with my twins.  Pregnancy puking was bad enough to out me in the hospital.  It was the worst thing I had EVER gone through.  Nothing like a stomach virus or a bad meal.  Every waking moment was torture.

And once something comes back up a few times, you just don't want to eat it again.  EVER. 

So, instead of odd cravings, I developed aversions. 

April is the month when I first became pregnant.  Twenty-two years ago, I had a brand new life growing in my belly.  I was going to be a Mommy! My carefree days were over! 

So were my days of Eggo waffles.  And creamed corn.  And big breakfasts from Huddle House with scrambled eggs, sausage, and grits.  (My poor hubby still has nightmares about that night!)  I haven't eaten a meatball sub in more than two decades. 

What is it about pregnancy hormones that imprints things so strongly in our minds? 

Because while I have worked up the courage to allow my kids to purchase and try Eggos...I cannot even stand to smell them!  Still.  After 22 years.  Not that it's necessary to my ability to function in life, but...

Did you have cravings?  Or aversions?  Did you eat happily throughout your pregnancy?  Or did you experience hospital stays with IV fluids or did you enjoy your heightened senses and pig out?

1 comment:

Hezra said...

Oh YAY!! A new book! I can't tell you how happy this makes me.
As for pgy cravings, I too mostly made new aversions.(don't even SPEAK the words"grilled chicken salad" to me) My first two trimesters were full of being sick and losing weight. Then the last... well, I more than made up for it. That was when the cravings came in. With baby number one, it was chocolate anything. In fact I ate cocoa puffs with chocolate milk poured over. lol Baby number two I craved egg rolls.(?) Baby three-- more chocolate. and more chocolate. Yes, that fat baby girl, I half expected when the Dr poked her chubby thighs for shots, she would bleed chocolate syrup. Baby 4 and 5, I did not even birth, but I gained weight(!?) Now I am trying to lose all the excess weight, and oh what I wouldn't give for a chocolate reeses p nut butter egg right now....... I sip coffee with stevia and fat free half and half ... not quite the same as that old p nut butter egg. *sigh*