Friday, December 17, 2010

Dream a little dream of me.

Stars shining bright above you.
Night breezes seem to whisper, "I love you,"
Birds singing in the sycamore tree.
Dream a little dream of me.

Have you ever dreamed a dream so real that when you woke up it seemed like it actually happened?   I do it all the time.  Well, not all the time, but fairly often.  Once, when we were expecting Darling Daughter and our oldest son was just a toddler, I dreamed that the baby had already been born.  It was another boy...this time with a head full of dark hair instead of red...and I couldn't find it.  The baby was gone.  I had put it down somewhere and forgotten where it was!  (Yeah, I do that with things all the time, but never with children.)The dream was so vivid that when I finally woke from it, I was crying and upset...because my baby was missing! 

But it wasn't.  I knew right where it was.  Inside my stomach kicking my ribs and punching my bladder black & blue. Safe and sound.  And it wasn't a boy anyway...it was a six pound, bald-headed little girl!

Sometimes the dreams are such wonderful ones that I wake up all happy and excited because life is amazing, and then I realize I was ASLEEP and it was all a DREAM and then I'm so disappointed I don't even want to get up and face the day. 

Clearly, I have issues.

And then...sometimes, I dream dreams like the one I had last night. 

Last night I dreamed that my husband had gone out and bought something really stupid, and he'd spent a fortune on it.  I don't remember what it was that he'd bought in the dream, but apparently it was something we'd discussed many times.  And I guess we had decided we didn't need to spend the money on it because when he brought it home I was FURIOUS!  I was so mad that I fussed and fumed and then I wouldn't speak to him.  I banged pots and slammed doors. (Which, I never EVER do in real life, I mean I just don't get that emotional, and I rarely lose control of my behavior or act like a two year old...temper tantrums are SO not me...just ask my kids!   For real.  I'm totally serious!  You don't believe me?  Shut up!)

Anyway.  In my dream I was beyond mad at that man who lives here. So when the alarm clock went off at 5:45 am this morning? 

I was still mad at him!

Yeah, even though he had been innocently snoring away right beside me all night long and not out draining the bank account  When the poor thing rolled over, took me in his arms and snuggled up to me and went, "Mmmm...good morning, Sunshine," in my ear, I growled at him and elbowed him in the stomach!  Because who does he think he is buying things we said we weren't going to buy??  Who made him king of the decisions??  He should know better...spending money like Donald Trump!  Well, guess what?  You're FIRED, mister!  Get your hands off me!  Quit mumbling in my ear, and let me outta this bed right now you big buffoon!.

Ummm...to say he was a little surprised would be an understatement.

Poor guy!

Luckily, the fog lifted, and I remembered that he really hadn't done anything wrong.  I'm the one that's losing my mind.

I would chalk it all up to Middle-Aged Midnight Madness, except I plan on living till I'm 102 so technically I won't be middle aged until I'm 51.

1 comment:

Teresa =) said...

Oh, man, am I glad I'm not the only one who has those dreams. Except I have them EVERY SINGLE NIGHT! I almost dread going to sleep, because I always wake up elated, or petrified, or completely and utterly furious -- for no real reason. My poor husband swears I am an insane person.

I fear he may be right.


Teresa =)