Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Clearly, we have work to do here.

If you were a fly on the wall in our school this morning (and could understand human speech) you would have overheard the following:

"Mom, I'm having trouble figuring out which one is the capital of Organ.  Is it Saleem or Desmondo?"

"What grade are you in?  Because first of all, I'm pretty sure there isn't a state in the whole entire country called ORGAN. You wanna read that again?

"Uh...oh!  ORE-e-gon.  So which is it? Desmondo?  Or Saleem?"

"If I were a betting woman, I'd say neither one of those.  Try SALE-em." 

"Well then where is Desmondo?"

"I have no idea.  In South America, maybe??"


And later, as the other one works hard at Fred...and does very well on Set Operations...but forgets all he learned about divisibility rules last year, and the year before, and the year before that:

"On question number 4 Fred says to figure out which number (2, 3 or 5) will divide evenly into 70800001 without working it out.  I can already guess that it's 2 because of the divisibility rule."

"Really?  Which divisibility rule is that?"

"Where you add up all the digits of the number and see if it'll divide...and 7 + 8 + 1 = 16 so 2 will divide evenly."

"But remember...2 can only go into an even number."

"Right.  I know.  Sixteen IS an even number!"

"But 70800001 isn't."

"So?  It doesn't matter if it is because Fred said to add 'em up and 16 is even and 2 goes into it."

"Honey, that's not how you tell if a 2 will divide evenly into a number.  All you need to know is if the number is even or odd.  70800001 is odd.  Two won't go into it."

"Yes.  It.  Will.  Fred.  Said.  So."

"OK, then.  If Fred said it will, then do it.  Divide 2 into 70800001 and tell me what your answer is..."

"I don't have to do that...I just have to know it will!  Why do you make me do all this work?"

"Please work it out?  I need to know.  Cause I'm obviously clueless about divisibility rules here...I need you to help me."

"Fine." 

...scratches out the problem on paper and discovers...

"Oh."

"Yeah." 

"Well, I messed that up.  Now what?"

"Now, maybe you could help your brother figure out where Desmondo is?!"

2 comments:

Chelsea Gour said...

Don't worry, we have those days too! I think they'll still be able to get a job one day. And move out. And support themselves. They will, won't they? TELL ME THEY WILL!

Hezra said...

oh. my.gosh. while I am truly sorry for your bad day, I am also equally grateful I am not the only one. lol and yes, I HOPE and pray they will one day support themselves and any offspring they may bring into this world. MY 13 yr old checked a book out today that was titled "Cool Careers without college for people who love video games" Yes. I know I didn't capitalize the stupid words. I didn't feel they deserved it. IT IS an actual book. Do I resign now?