Thursday, September 9, 2010

What do these things have in common??

Banana...






Coffee...


Shrimp.





They're all things I absolutely WILL NOT eat!  Or drink, in the case of coffee.  Ever.  Reasons? 

1.  Bananas are stinky and squishy and they feel like goo in your mouth.  Plus, they have those weird stringy things! 

2.  Coffee smells deceptively good when it's being brewed.  However, it tastes like bad breath! 

3.  Shrimp.  There's so much about shrimp that's just wrong.  First of all, it's pink.  I don't like most pink food.  Also, shrimp look like little bugs swimming around.  Ick!  And furthermore, shrimp make that creepy sort of "pop" when you bite into them.  Freakish texture.  Ugh! 

My family knows that I have odd ideas about food.  They overlook it because they love me.  But still, they like to pick on me sometimes.

In the grocery store yesterday the boys asked me, "Mom... we were wondering...what would happen if you were stranded on a deserted island with nothing edible but bananas, coffee and shrimp?  Would you eventually get so hungry that you'd eat them anyway because you just had to have something??" 

Those two boys of mine.  They're always thinking up deep stuff like that!  Asking me the truly difficult, meaningful kinds of questions.  Smart kids.  They never cease to amaze me.  It's mind-boggling, really, the intense discussions they provoke with their questions. 

Of course they were laughing and giggling all over Kroger at their ridiculous question because they thought they had me!

I answered them right away.  I'd just have to starve to death. 

Or maybe I could brew up the coffee, grill the shrimp over an open flame, rustle up some banana pudding...and then a passing ship would smell the meal, follow the aroma, and I'd be rescued!  Whew!

No comments: