Wednesday, February 3, 2010

That's "Doctor" Darling Daughter to you...


My girl went on an adventure yesterday. She got to shadow at a local hospital and miss school and everything. She didn't actually get to put her finger over any spurting arteries, deliver any babies, sew up wounds, repair fractures or remove any foreign bodies from noses, ears or other orifices. So yeah, she was a little, teensy bit disappointed. Can't imagine why a hospital WOULDN'T allow an untrained, unskilled sixteen year old to perform emergency procedures, but it's all good. She still had fun.

I know this because I got to hear all about it...in detail...at dinner! Which is sort of a good thing, since after all I HAVE been trying to lose weight. Who needed to eat dinner anyway? Certainly not me!

My future doctor spent her morning learning how a cardiac cath is done and looking at the uh...gunk...that's removed from clogged arteries. She says it's really nasty. I'll take her word for it. I'll also give up bacon and fatty foods if it means I won't have any growing in MY vessels!

In addition to the thrilling cath-lab stuff, she had the riveting experience of handling internal organs. Dead ones, I suppose. Preserved ones. Whatever. She played with placenta and cancerous colon. Yep. She sure did. You don't even want to know what vegetable she compared the colon polyps to...no. You definitely do not. I sure as heck wish I hadn't asked! One of these days I'll learn to keep my big mouth shut.

All in all, I'd say she had a terrific time. Job-shadowing is a great opportunity for young people to learn about the jobs they think they might want to have one day. She's going again in a couple of weeks. This time to a different hospital and a different department. She'll be shadowing therapists in pediatric rehabilitation. She already knows everyone there, so I may have to go in and drag her home at the end of the day...but I'm betting I won't have to hear any disgusting descriptions about her day.

No comments: