Friday, January 22, 2010

WHO has that kind of money??

Yesterday I watched a mom on Good Morning America describing how her family's grocery bill had gotten out of control. Her solution was to plan an entire YEAR'S worth of meals, create a menu, and buy ALL of the groceries at once. She says that by doing so, she's drastically cut down on her food bill because she's cut out impulse buys and can take full advantage of sales, buy in bulk, etc.

I do something similar myself. I sit down every two weeks or so, look through the sales flyers for our local stores, plan out about 11 or 12 nights worth of dinners according to what's on sale, list everything I will need for each meal, check off what I already have in the house and then hit the stores. It really DOES help because: 1. I'm not stressed out with thinking up something to cook and figuring out if we already have what I need to make it; 2. I don't find myself running back and forth to the store a dozen times; 3. planning around what's on sale and using my coupons saves me $$.

But. I don't see how I could shop for a whole entire year. First of all...how many people would I have to take with me to help push all those carts? Second, where in the world would I put all that stuff? Then...inevitably some of it would go bad or end up freezer burned. And finally...

WHO HAS THAT KIND OF MONEY?

I don't know about you, but we operate on a budget around here. We don't have large chunks of money sitting around just waiting for us to run off and buy a horde of food. I mean, even if I figure a very measly $400-$600 a month (and that's cutting it really close) if you turn that into one yearly purchase that's roughly $5,000-$7,000. DOLLARS. At once. And still I'd have to go back for milk and bread, wouldn't I?? Or fresh veggies and fruit? Or sour cream or yogurt or cheese or something?

I think I could do once-a month shopping for sure, but yearly??

How do you manage your grocery funds? Do you try to save? Do you stick to a budget? Do you just buy what you feel like at the moment and not worry about cost?



Also:
Here are the answers to "Who Sang That" from yesterday. I put most of these songs into a playlist and added them to the bottom of the blog for today. Just for today, though, because it annoys me to click on my own blog and have music blare in my face. I know, I'm a little strange.

1. Call Me (Blondie)
2. Bette Davis Eye (Kim Carnes)
3. Waiting For a Girl Like You (Foreigner)
4. Every Breath You Take (The Police)
5. When Doves Cry (Prince)
6. Don't You (Forget About Me) Simple Minds
7. Amanda (Boston)
8. Livin' On A Prayer (Bon Jovi)
9. The Flame (Cheap Trick)
10. Listen to Your Heart (Heart)

1. Misunderstanding (Genesis)
2. Urgent (Foreigner)
3. Harden My Heart (Quarterflash)
4. King of Pain (The Police)
5. Talking In Your Sleep (Romantics)
6. Lovergirl (Teena Marie)
7. I Can't Wait (Nu Shooz)
8. You Keep Me Hangin' On (Kim Wilde)
9. Father Figure (George Michael)
10. Armageddon It (Def Leppard)

2 comments:

Hezra said...

um yeah thanks, my kids are gonna love this music and want to hear it all the time. I have to make this post quick. lol
ok or just turn the volume down.... anyway, I would NOT have enough $ to go annually. Nor the space to store the food. She must have a garage full of freezers and shelves. I have just decided that next month we will get a freezer and start buying from S*ms. I tried ezmeals where they give you the menu and the shopping list. You just print it out. But There were things my family hated the first week. lol and every night making something new stressed me out. But it is only 5.00 a month.

a Tonggu Momma said...

Annually? Ummm... nope, not gonna happen. I do my "big shops" every other week, with short trips for milk, bread, juice and sometimes eggs, as well as the occasional splurge. And we probably spend at least $600 a month, for a family of three, though we go organic a lot because of our food allergies.