Sunday, January 31, 2010

Pizza Pockets, but not really.

I found a recipe on foodnetwork that we tried out last night, and I have to say we really enjoyed it! I sort of modified it a little bit. Because...well...I'm lazy and didn't want to roll out pizza dough. And we needed more than the recipe makes, so I rearranged the amounts. And because I don't know what arugula is, so I used spinach instead. Also because I wanted to cram some more veggies in there. I didn't use the olive oil, either. Didn't need any oil. Not sure why it's there. And finally, because we're trying very hard to eat more healthily around here so I used low-fat and no-fat items.

I've lost 18 pounds recently and want to keep heading doooowwwwwnnnn the scales...not back up.

My evil plan is to be almost as skinny as my sister by the time we all go to the beach this summer. May have to save up for some liposuction in order to make that happen, since she's approximately the size of a string bean. We'll see.

Oh! I forgot. Their called "pizza pockets" and I'm not really sure why. They don't taste anything like pizza. Or pockets. Well, I mean they ARE pocket-y things, but they aren't pizza-ish. At all. What they are, though, is really yummy. Maybe they're called pizza pockets because you can dip them in marinara sauce?? I don't know.

Anyway. The recipe. Source Style. You can go here for the original version by Giada De Laurentiis of Everyday Italian.

Pizza Pockets (Source Style)

16 oz. Italian turkey sausage
8 oz. frozen spinach (or the equivalent in fresh baby spinach)
8 oz. shredded carrots (or diced)
6 oz. low-fat or fat free cream cheese
1/2 cup grated light parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp red pepper (I used a little more, we like spicy)
3 8 oz. cans of reduced fat crescent rolls


Preheat oven to 400.
In a skillet, brown the sausage, drain, and then add spinach. If you're using frozen spinach, stir it around and cook it a little until it's not frozen anymore. If you chose to use fresh, well then cook it until it's wilted.

Lower the heat. Add the cream cheese to the pan and stir until it's melted. Then toss in the Parmesan, salt, both peppers, and mix that all up.

Now. Separate all those little triangles of crescent rolls and spoon a little bit of the sausage mixture into the center of each. Close up the edges and form them into little pockets. Place them on a baking sheet and pop them into the oven. Bake for about 13-15 minutes. Remove from oven, dip them in marinara (or not!) and enjoy!! These were really delicious!

2 comments:

a Tonggu Momma said...

The Tongginator LOVES Giada... one of her favorites on the Food Network.

Jo said...

sounds yummy! Way to go shedding those pounds.