Saturday, January 2, 2010

The Dingbat Diaries, Boy Version, vol. 7



Quatro has recently been ill. Stuffy nose, congested chest, puffy purple raccoon eyeballs and a fever. I took him to the pediatrician on Monday and she prescribed all sorts of things to help him feel better. Since he weighs over 90 pounds now (a fact I wouldn't have believed if I hadn't seen it for myself since he's a bean pole...must have had bricks in his pockets) he gets to take the adult medicines. She told me to cut the antibiotic in two since it's really large and give him that, the Mucinex, a Sudafed pill and some nasal spray every six hours. If he takes them all at once, it lessens the times we have to go through the whole routine. In fact, I'm positive that she said it exactly like that. "Just have him take it all at once, every six hours." Those exact words again.

Well, as it turned out that Mucinex pill is pretty big, too. He's good at swallowing pills, but with a sore throat and limited breathing I didn't want to gag him. I chopped it in half, too.

So I handed him the halves of Augmentin and his tea. He hesitated. Held out his hand to me. He wanted the halves of Mucinex and the Sudafed, too. I told him to swallow what he had first.

"But Mom...didn't she say I had to take it ALL AT ONCE?"

She meant at the same approximate time, dear.

"Oh! Cause I was wondering how I was gonna get all that down at once!"

AND if that weren't enough...

Later that evening, Darling Daughter told him to come and get a cold, damp rag for his poor little raccoon eyes. She said, "Put this over your eyes and go get in the bed."

What do you think he did?

He stuck the rag over his face and tried to walk to his room in the dark.


2 comments:

Kiy said...

Just stopping in to wish you and yours a Happy New Year.

Cheers, Kiy

Hezra said...

ha ha ha ! Good to know I dont have the market cornered on dingbats. (I have boy versions and girl versions and even sometimes adult versions...