Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Recipe


This weekend it was my turn to bring something yummy for the Sunday School Class Feeding Frenzy that takes place just before the lesson each week. I like to try to think up different things to bring...because...well...because if I bring something everyone likes, there won't be any left to take home and then I might have to cook lunch, too! I don't think moms should have to cook three times on Sunday. It's not Biblical. Sunday is a day of rest. So, I try to do the right thing by cooking one dish for Sunday School and making my kids eat the leftovers for lunch (and dinner if at all possible!)
This week, my plan didn't work out so well. I brought something that looked a little weird, but smelled wonderful. Big mistake. (Note to self: next time add garlic.) The food went, and it went pretty fast. There was only enough left for my hubby and I to snarf down in the car on the way home. The poor kids had to sit in the back seat starving and whining. And then...then I had to make them peanut butter sandwiches when we got home.
Not really. They got chicken. Their daddy is a sucker for grumbling bellies and tears.
Anyway, I got several requests for the recipe this morning, and I figured this would be the best way to share it. If you're one of my facebook church friends...here it is. If you're not...try it anyway. You'll like it.
Blueberry Stuff
(Well, look, it's a combination of two different recipes really. I like to make things up, and I don't name the food I just cook it. You may call it whatever you like. Also, I don't take pictures of food, I eat it. So you'll have to use your imagination for the finished product. Unless you're in my Sunday School class.)
Ingredients:
One 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
(Yes, you can use the fat free kind, but why??)
Two packages crescent rolls.
(I found this photo online. This isn't the brand I buy. You won't find the Pillsbury Doughboy in my fridge because I'm cheap. I but the store brand. Hey, it's going IN the recipe, it's not the main feature. )
1/4 cup sugar 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup fresh blueberries
(A word of advice here...do not skimp on the blueberries! I wouldn't recommend frozen ones. They might get all soggy and no one wants soggy bluberries.)



1/2 stick butter (or margarine)
1 cup blueberry almond crunch cereal
(No picture of the cereal. Apparently Kroger doesn't post pics of their cereal online for use in blog recipes. You can go with any kind that had blueberries, almonds, granola and flakes. Or some combo of those.)
Preheat oven to 350.
Layer one package of crescent rolls on the bottom of a 13x9 pan.
You'll have to flatten them a little and press the seams together to make them fit.
Combine the cream cheese, vanilla and sugar in a mixing bowl.
Spread it on top of the crescent rolls.
Drop blueberries all over the cream cheese mixture.
Layer the other package of crescents on top of the blueberries.
Make sure not to leave any gaps or the filling will ooze out, and it won't look pretty.
Melt the 1/2 stick of butter.
Put it in the same bowl you used to mix the cream cheese.
(I like to wash as few dishes as possible!)
Add the cereal to the bowl and crush it a little, then mix it all up with the melted butter.
Sprinkle this on top of the crescent rolls.
Back for 30 minutes.
You can serve it warm, or put it in the fridge for an hour to chill.
It's delicious both ways!

1 comment:

The Momster said...

This one sounds good - I have to provide for the food frenzy in our adult class on the 25th...I feed my teen girls every Sunday...they like cupcakes..and apparently donut holes. wonder if i can convince them the fruit is candy? lol