Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Pumpkin Pancakes and Coffee




My kids LOVE waking up to the smell of coffee and something delicious for breakfast in the winter months. They look forward to fall and the chill in the air because...well...because I don't feed them breakfast during the spring and summer. I make them wait until lunch.




Just kidding, just kidding. I don't make coffee in the summer. Because, you know, we've got the whole "We live in the hot, humid, muggy South and no one in their right mind drinks HOT beverages at breakfast when it's 95 degrees before noon" thing going on down here. By July you could really just take a gulp from the swimming pool at dawn...it's just as warm as a fresh-brewed cup of java. Here in South Carolina, we do have our share of coffee addicts who still prefer to burn the hair off their tongues in mid-August. Not, however, at my house. At my house it's a glass full of ice and sweet tea at 6 AM. All that freezing cold sugary goodness just shocks the system wide awake. But it doesn't smell as heavenly as coffee. So, the kids, they look forward to fall...




Only, this year I'm messing with them. I bought a fresh thingie of their favorite coffee (A package? A pound? What is it called?) and creamer. I have a brand new tin of Williams Sonoma Pumpkin Pecan Pancake and Waffle mix in my pantry. I have butter straight from the farmer's market...the yummy kind that doesn't come in stick form. I have peppered bacon straight from the farm. And now...




Now, I'm making them wait. They'll wake up to the aroma of coffee, bacon and piping hot, pumpkin pecan pancakes for breakfast on the very first morning that the temperature falls below 50 degrees!




Which may be tomorrow, or very well could be in January!




Oh, the torture!! Oh, the agony!


Oh, the joys of being the mom!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did anyone ever tell you that you are a really mean momma? My thermometer shows 50 degrees right now. I'll be right over!

Chelsea Gour said...

That's not very nice. I think you should wait just until I get there! BTW, I drink HOT tea year round and I don't have a hairy tongue! So there.

Hezra said...

I am on my way too. I say we make it a party. But between all the kids there may not be enough. . . hmmm maybe we need another can?? AND I live in the south, but we drink coffee year round. I love the iced coffee. yummo. may I just say, I KNEW it!! I KNEW you were a fellow hag mommy like me! ;-) it IS fun getting to be in charge sometimes isn't it!?

The Momster said...

I'm sort of with you on the coffee in the summer thing. We just don't do it here at home. At my folks, there's always a pot of coffee...at my house we wait till it's cold. And usually I just make cocoa in my cocoa machine instead!

Pancakes sound good ... but we seem to have pancakes way too often around here. A moment on the lips...