Thursday, September 10, 2009

Is My Age Showing??

You know you're getting old when your kids are clueless about something that was commonplace when you were small.

Yesterday, the twins and I sat at the kitchen table working on parts of speech. It's painfully obvious that this is something they didn't learn much of in their public school years. (You know, like in 4K through the FIFTH GRADE.) I won't go off on that tangent today, but let's just say that they don't know nouns, verbs, adverbs or adjectives AT ALL. And it didn't seem to be clicking yesterday, either.

So, I did what any good mother would do. I brought out the laptop and went to youtube. Time to watch some School House Rock!! And that's when it happened.

During the video about nouns, the girl is bouncing around singing "I put a dime in the drug store record machine!"

The boys looked at me with puzzled expressions. "She put a dime in what? What's a record machine?"

Ugh! Am I really that ancient? I remember hanging out at the pizza place sticking quarters in the juke box and punching all kinds of numbers and letters so we could listen to Mr. Roboto and Separate Ways while waiting for our food. Before pizza places had cheesy bread, pasta or chicken wings!

I explained juke boxes, records and such to Pip and Quatro and they seemed to understand the concept of stone age cd players. What they couldn't comprehend was something that only cost a DIME!

1 comment:

a Tonggu Momma said...

Well... at least you didn't have to explain "this for that; that for this." Because that would have made you prehistoric!