Thursday, June 25, 2009

Summer Reading

Three out of four of The Source Kids like to read. The fourth, well, let's just say that he-who-shall-remain-nameless has somehow made it all the way through his first year of college having pretty much never read a book for pleasure. Only if it's assigned, there is NO movie, the teacher cannot be easily fooled, and he must make a good grade or face certain death will that boy read a book. He gets that after his father. Hubby would prefer it if an audio version of the newspaper could be downloaded onto his ipod.

The rest of us are book lovers. We love to get into a good story. The twins are devouring books faster than I can keep up the supply this summer, so I thought I would share a few of our newest finds. You're just dying to know what we're reading, I know. I'm very perceptive that way. And then, if you would be so kind, you could share your faves in the comments cause we're always on the lookout for an adventure.

I just finished reading World Without End by Ken Follett. I was lucky enough to WIN a copy of it from Rechelle at My Sister's Farmhouse. Woo Hoo!! She even signed it for me. Ihave a book signed by a famous blogger. I'm cool like that. Anyway. If you like Ken Follett and have read Pillars of the Earth, this is the sequel set a couple of centuries later. It's about 1,000 pages, weaving through the lives of people living in the 13oo's at the mercy of Earls and Priors and Kings. I love books that really dig into the characters lives, and this one does. If you need a good LONG book to take on vacation, you should pick up a copy. I would loan you mine, but umm...there was this incident by the pool and well...it's a little warpy now. The words are still there, but the book is now in less than new condition! You see why I never win stuff? It's because I don't take care of my things.

Darling Daughter has just finished two good ones. The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold and My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. Ok, I know that My Sister's Keeper is coming out in theaters next week. But see, I learned my lesson with the oldest one. No seeing the movie if you haven't read the book. Because movies are almost always NOT as good. I'm pretty sure that DD liked The Lovely Bones better. I thought it was going to be a little bit intense for her since it begins with fourteen year old Susie Salmon getting murdered. From there, the book gives Susie's account as she watches her family trying to cope with the tragedy and put their lives back together. The most intense parts are when her younger sister figures out who the bad guy is and sneaks into his house looking for evidence! I won't say any more. Go get it! I'm sure everyone in America has some idea what My Sister's Keeper is all about from all the previews leading up to the movie. Still..do yourself a favor. Read the book. It's worth it.

Now the boys...well...the boys are sick of reading whatever is required by school. Summer is for being free to pick whatever strikes your fancy and they love browsing the shelves at Books-A-Million! Pip Squeak is heavily into a series about a 12 year old boy named Luke who is the third child in his family. The only problem is that the government has taken over EVERYTHING and only TWO children are allowed! Luke is one of the illegal Shadow Children who can never go to school, play outside, make friends or be seen by others because if they are found out they will be killed and their families will be in big trouble! The first book in the series is called Among the Hidden, written by Margaret Petersen Haddix. Without letting too much out of the bag I will tell you that Luke discovers another secret child! Pip's on book two now and says it's as good as the first.

Also, we're reading together The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan. Yes, I said together. As in, we sit in the living room in the evenings, and I read it to the twins and we talk about it as we go. (And they usually sneak and read ahead the next day.) Who says you have to stop reading to your kids just because they're old enough to read to themselves? It's much more fun to really get into books together. Plus then you have something to talk about while you're hanging out by the pool with a popsicle. This series is about Percy Jackson, a 12 year old boy who has ADHD and Dyslexia and keeps getting kicked out of schools. Actually, Percy is a Half-Blood. That means he's half human and half Greek god. See, his daddy was Poseidon and his mama was a human. Percy is really Perseus and he has some mad skillz with a sword! He's already killed the Minotaur and battled with Medusa...chopping off her head full of snakes! We're only about halfway through this one, but the boys have gotten quite interested in Greek Mythology and we're really enjoying this book.

When we finish these we plan on finding the next in the series...and checking out a few others. I've heard that Kingdom Keepers is really good and we definitely want to read Night by Elie Wiesel. Anything historial will keep Quatro's attention.

Got any suggestions??

3 comments:

Hezra said...

I know-- you don't know me(yet?) but I had to comment. I LOVE reading to my kids and my mom read to us even whn we were teenagers. WE loved sitting in my moms room, piled up on her bed listening to Cheaper by the Dozen. What ages are yours?

AZ Chapman said...

I loved the shadow childeren's books series I read them in grade 6 suggestions

harry potter

the mysterous bendict socity

no excuess

Brianna said...

For you, I would recommend some Karen Kingsbury books if you haven't read them. My personal favorites are Like Dandelion Dust (Amazing!), Devine, and the Redemption series. I love the way she writes and she's a christian author.
Last year, I read this cool book that reminded me of one of the books Pip was reading (about the secret child). It's called the Giver and we had to read it for school (GT), but it was really good and it made you think. And, Ted Dekker has this series called The Lost Books series that is for teens. And I read the first 3 of them and they were great.
For Darling Daughter... well, I tend to stay away from Teen books, BUT I've read some Sara Dessen books because everyone at school had one at some point in the school year, and they are really good. The only thing that could make them better, were if they were christian. They aren't, they're just regular teen girl books, about regular teen lives, but there's something about the way she writes, that says what no one says but everyone thinks (if that makes sense). Bottom line, they're really good.
I'm sure Aunt Chelsea will have loads of book suggestions for the twins, because her twins go through books like crazy.
Uuummmm, yep, that's all I can think of right now. :)