Friday, June 26, 2009

Burglars and Bullets and Teargas, OH MY!

(Or..."Why I'm Glad I Took Two Percocet Last Night!")
Due to an unexpected and painful female problem that arose quite suddenly Wednesday evening, I spent most of the past 24 hours sprawled on my bed with a heating pad watching reruns of The Duggars through a drug-induced fog. Which, it turns out, is actually a good thing. Because at some point during the night I thought I heard the fire pager shriek it's emergency tones. I vaguely recall hearing the dispatcher say something about staging a block away from the scene. I'm somewhat positive I almost sort of heard her say that the First Responders should wait until the Sheriff's Department had the situation secured before approaching. I might have even thought somewhere in the hazy recesses of my mind that my son was spending the night at the fire station last night so that he would be able to drive the big ol' fire truck to any calls. I thought I heard these things in my sleep, but since I was passed out on pain medicine things didn't register. I didn't even care. Except this morning when I woke up, something kept telling me to check the news and see what the call was all about.
The call I was pretty sure I dreamed.
And so I pulled up the local paper online and read the headlines.
Suspect takes his own life after morning standoff in Bath, S.C.
Friday, June 26, 2009 9:01 a.m.


A man wanted by deputies
in Richmond and Columbia Counties killed himself during a standoff in Bath, S.C., early this morning.
The suspect, whose name has not been released pending notification of his family, locked himself in a home on Railroad Street when deputies attempted to serve warrant at about 3 a.m., according to Aiken County Sheriff’s Office Capt. Troy Elwell.
During negotiations, the suspect fired twice from his handgun, Capt. Elwell said. Deputies shot tear-gas into the home and heard a third gunshot, which they believe the suspect used upon himself.
The suspect was wanted for burglary, aggravated assault, armed robbery and weapons charges in Columbia County. He also had a probation violation in Richmond County, Capt. my Elwell said.
And now I need some nerve pills!!
I called the Hubby at work this morning to rant and rave about little baby boy being in close proximity to a lunatic criminal with a gun. Hubby assures me that the fire department was staged well out harm's way...around the corner. Hello?? BULLETS FLY, don't they?? I'm pretty sure they can go through a fireman's bunker gear.
When that boy gets home, he and I are going to have a long talk. If he is detemined to major in law enforcement, I think we need to find him a job at a desk behind bullet-proof glass. And keep any and all dangerous situations OUT of the media because mama doesn't want to know!

3 comments:

Brianna said...

LOL
Spoken like a true overprotective mother. jk I think all mothers are overprotective. :)

Darling Daughter. said...

seriously?

a Tonggu Momma said...

Oh. My. Lands. I'd have killed him as soon as he walked in the door. Which kind of defeats the purpose, I know. But still. I would have killed him.