Monday, May 18, 2009

Is it really THAT addicting?


I'm not being sarcastic. Well...ok, maybe just a little bit, but I really am trying to understand the difficulty. You see, I have never been a cigarette smoker, so I guess I don't have the perspective to truly understand. See, what I'm wondering is this:
What is it about a burning stick of paper and tobacco that is so all-consuming as to make a person unable to PUT IT DOWN when they are in bed and falling asleep?
Everyone has their vices. I know that. I can't live without my Diet Coke. (Just ask my hubby and oldest son who have been sent to the store at midnight to get a carton...I really can't face the thought of waking up in the morning to NO Diet Coke!) My Hubby craves his Mayfield Blueberry Creme Pie ice cream and has been known to eat a bowl in bed right before dropping off for the night. But never...NEVER have I fallen asleep with the glass of Coke in my hand, and I'm positive that the Hubby has never dozed with the spoon dangling from his mouth.
What sort of properties does a cigarette possess that would make an otherwise intelligent human lay in the bed in a drowsy state, and think, "I'll just puff on this until I conk out." Does the fact that it's BURNING on the other end not hinder one at all?? Apparently not. The idea that a clump of ashes may drop off and set your mattress on fire...not much of a concern??
At least if I fell asleep with my Diet Coke I'm not putting myself in danger of much...maybe accidental drowning if it spills up my nose, but my family would be safe. OK, the ice cream may be a tad more dangerous. I mean there's always the possibility that the spoon could get jammed in his throat. Ouch.
I'm not a big fan of smoking, but I'm not one of those people who goes around fussing about it either. I don't care if you want to smoke...especially if it's your own home and you're only puffing second-hand smoke on the folks that live there. But please remember, safety first.
Smoke your cigarette BEFORE you get into bed. Squish it completely out in an ash tray or something. Then you can feel free to hop in the sack and snooze, content in the knowledge that you will not be waking ME up at 4:30 am, scaring all your neighbors to death and endangering MY boy and his fellow firefighters while they drag off your smoldering mattress, douse your bedroom and porch and rescue your puppy from your burning house. Use a little common sense. Please. Don't make me come over with my ice cream and Diet Coke.

3 comments:

a Tonggu Momma said...

As an asthmatic, smoking is something I will NEVER understand. Seriously... it's difficult enough for me to breathe as it is, there is NO WAY I want to make it worse.

Brianna said...

My friends do it and I just don't understand, why? Whatever, it's their life, I suppose. It just confusilates me how the good outwieghs the bad in the situation?
But, honestly, that sounds like something one of my friends would do; they don't have any of that "common" sense stuff. :)

Tammy said...

That is something I will NEVER figure out. And it completely eludes me to see health care workers, especially respiratory therapists, sitting outside the hospital smoking on their break.

Job security for me.