Monday, May 4, 2009

The Great Lawn Mower Incident 2009

Sunday afternoon...the kids were flopped on the sofas exhausted after playing out in the pool. The Oldest was at work, and the Hubby had driven to another town to drop off one of the riding mowers for repair. (We have three. I don't know why. We only need one. One of them belonged to my grandaddy and is older than me. It's also heavier than a small car and still running like a charm.)

I was waiting on Hubby to return so that we could run some errands together. I wasn't expecting him for another thirty minutes to an hour, so when I heard a tremendous CRASH out in the side yard, I never even went to check it out. The kids were still inside, so I knew it wasn't them. I thought maybe the neighbor had dropped something, but since there was no screaming for help, I went back to my computer. And then Hubby came hobbling in...

It seems that he had been loading one of the lawn mowers (Not the broken one, not my grandaddy's, but the Snapper...are you picturing a redneck yard here?? Because I promise you'd never know we have all this mess by looking. No really! Well, there are three trucks and a Tahoe...uh, and right now two boats, but one of them isn't ours. Never mind. Forget I said anything. Back to our story.) So Hubby was driving the mower up this metal ramp to load it into the back of his truck and take it to another house...so that he could help Oldest out by cutting one of the yards he keeps. When the tires on the mower caught on the ramp and kicked it out from under him. The back tires of the mower fell to the driveway and the front of the mower went up in the air and fell backwards...ONTO MY HUSBAND. He landed on his back, on the metal ramp in the drive with the mower on top of him. Somehow he pushed it off and walked upstairs. Adrenaline, I guess.

Five hours and a few xrays later (plus the rudest and most unhelpful Triage desk person and several crazy folks in the ER) we learned that the doctors are "pretty sure" he didn't fracture anything although they think his L5 vertebrae has a suspicious spot on it. They think he bruised some nerves since he was exhibiting slight neurological symptoms. He's definitely swollen and in a lot of pain. They sent us home with meds and instructions to "take it easy...and if he loses bladder function all of a sudden, bring him straight back to the ER." Uh...yeah don't worry about that. I'm fairly certain that would be a clue to me that he needed medical attention. Right away!

He's resting somewhat comfortably, but I imagine he's going to be really sore today. Lucky for us, it's a rainy, yucky day and I have no where else I have to be. I can stay here and be all loving and helpful and stuff. And do some laundry. We're so thankful that he wasn't injured any worse than this. But if you'd say a prayer for a speedy recovery and pain relief, I know he would appreciate it. I won't post any photos because it's a LOWER back injury, and he keeps telling me y'all wouldn't want to see his butt. It's a sexy one, but since he doesn't want me to, I won't share....too bad! I know it would have made your day.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

OUCH!!! prayers for him to get better. do you really think kidney failure would mean another trip to the er? geezz.....

Chelsea Gour said...

Thank you so much for not sharing the butt shots! So glad it wasn't worse!!! Hope he's better soon.

Tammy said...

Bless his little heart! I am so glad he was not hurt worse. Hope he has a speedy recovery.

LOL at the "loses bladder function".

mendyc said...

I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for NOT sharing the butt pics!!! I think I would be traumatized for life and can't afford therapy. I hope he's feeling better today. And we have diapers "just in case" ;) lol