Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Wednesday Prayer Meetin'

Deuteronomy 6:6-7
"These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts.
Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up."
Do you read the Bible with your children? If not, I'd like to encourage you to start. At least give it a try? I know, I know, it sounds tedious and boring and they'd probably rather have you read something exciting like Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter, right? I understand that kids love adventure, crave heroes and you have to hold their attention, but let me clue you in on something. The Bible is FULL of action!
We all know the story of little David the shepherd boy who slayed 9'9" Goliath with a slingshot and a stone, but do you remember Joshua? Joshua's spies would put Jason Bourne to shame. His army? He and his men brought down the walls of Jericho with a SHOUT. During another battle, the sun stood still until Joshua's armies had won.
I'd like to see Spiderman pull that one off.
You want adventure? Jacob wrestled with an angel. Samson killed lions with his bare hands. Elijah set a sacrifice on fire after drenching it in water...and it burned so hot that it vaporized the altar stones! Then he rode off to heaven in a chariot of fire! The Bible is full of courageous men.
You want mystery, danger and intrigue? How about Abraham being told to sacrifice his little boy? Saul plotting to murder David? Lot's wife turned to salt! Esther became queen and saved her people from destruction. Jonah got swallowed by a huge fish and lived in it's belly for three days! Ugh! There are sorcerers and crazy people and magicians and evil kings and bad guys and even talking donkeys throughout. And that's just the OLD Testament.
The best part? None of these people had super powers. Most of them didn't even want to do what God asked of them. A few of them tried to run away. Some of them had no self-confidence and they ALL messed up along the way. Just like us. They had to learn to listen to God and trust in His promises. They had to have faith. They had to pray for help! They had to set themselves aside and do what God said. Aren't those the lessons we want our children to learn?
Try carving 10 minutes out of your evening for a Bible story. If your children are tiny, a book of Bible stories with lots of colorful pictures is terrific. If they're older, why not read straight from God's word and then pick a book with some beautiful illustrations for them to chew over later. Believe me, you'll soon have them begging for the Bible.
As for prayer meeting...
Please keep Chelsea's mom in your prayers. She has broken two vertebrae in her back and is in a lot of pain. Go over and ofer some encouragement while Chelsea takes care of her this week. And homeschool's her kids in the process.
Also, Slackermom's sister is having trouble with her marriage and really needs your prayers.
As for me...well we're dealing with some attitude issues around here and I'm not naming any names...let's just say that Jiu Jitsu isn't supposed to be used to attack your enemies on the playground and leave it at that!
And I'm seriously considering leaving Real Estate and finding something else to do with my time. What? Well, I just don't know. Send me some suggestions, cause making money is nice. Pray that God will show me WHAT He wants me to do.
How about you?

4 comments:

The Momster said...

I'm about to apply to GSU - Pray that it's where God wants me to be and doing what it is that He is leading me to do. Especially in the present educational economy... But I still feel His working in my life to have me working with kids. Thanks for the mention for my sister. I need to check in with her and see how things are going. Attitudes abound dear friend! We've got your back. and Chelsea's. I just love this prayer meeting - I can even attend in my pajamas!!!

Chelsea Gour said...

Thanks SS. My mom is in better shape than I thought. Still in pain but able to rest on the couch during the day and so far the kids are behaving very well around her! My Dad is worn out though. I'm hoping this will give him a little break. See if any other the local mortuaries are hiring....since you like that kind of stuff. Maybe you can work your way up....to dead body prep or whatever! :)

By the way, I totally agree with the reading the Bible to your kids! We've been doing it since the boys were just little and it's been a great thing. They get in my bed every morning and Paul reads to them, when he's home, I do if he's not. We've come across some really good versions for kids and some great bible study books to use. But, just reading from the Bible is great too!

a Tonggu Momma said...

My momma is going through customs right now in the Philippines, carting medical supplies for a missions trip. She'll be there for two weeks, ministering to people living in the dump.

Darling Daughter said...

MOM! PLEASE DO NOT WORK ON DEAD PEOPLE!!!