Monday, March 16, 2009

And the answer is...

I forgot the question.
My brains are still trying to get back on their regularly scheduled program.
Plus...it's cold and rainy outside, and I don't like it.


No, really. I know the question, and you'll want to pay attention here, because the answer is very valuable information. Especially if you're on a budget or trying to reduce your monthly grocery bill. Read on...


We were out of town for a total of 13 and 1 half days. We left the mother-in-law in charge of the kids and gave her custody of the debit card we use for most food-buying purposes. It had a grand total of a little over $400 on it, because that's what I typically spend every two weeks for groceries. That's 400 for 252 meals in two weeks time. That means we spend about $1.58 per meal. However, not everyone is here for every meal and not everyone eats an entire dinner or breakfast. So give or take a bit. Still, even if we say that I spend $2.58 a meal...that's pretty good, right?? I thought it was. Until we came home from our trip.
So, while we were away my kids were fed fried chicken, fried cubed steak, grits full of butter, soup made from potatoes, tomatoes, macaroni noodles and FAT BACK, and other healthy foods such as those. Plus ice cream, cakes and cookies which I rarely buy. (No one touched the fresh strawberries, blueberries, apples, bananas, oranges, tangelos or grapes that I left...what kids would when they had ice cream and coffee nightly??) We returned to a fridge slam-packed full of leftovers (because they aren't used to eating so heavily at night), a kitchen full of rotten fruit, and $278 dollars on the debit card. So the kids were slopped like hogs on a nightly basis and the grand total for the groceries was $122. HUH?? Taking myself and the Hubby out of the equation and not including the mother-in-law (who ate at home with their Papa) that means she fed them on roughly .72 cents per meal???
I'm not complaining. I'm really not. Not many mother-in-laws would put their lives on hold to cart their grandkids around to all their activities and spend the night with them in their home and clean their clothes and such for 2 weeks.
I'm just trying to determine exactly how she did it.
I think the answer is, "Feed them lots of animal fat and canned stuff."

3 comments:

Chelsea Gour said...

Sounds like my mother-in-law! I think they're related. Sounds like the kids were a wee bit spoiled too! Good luck getting their GI tracks back on track.

a Tonggu Momma said...

That is my MIL. She won't even eat any fruit or veggies unless they are canned or in some jello.

mendyc said...

Good thing you don't take lots of vacations. Your kids arteries would be all clogged up. Oh and can you see if she will do the alterations on A's prom dress for me? LOL