Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Hit me, Baby, one more time!

I may have mentioned that Darling Daughter began a self defense class a few weeks ago. Each Thursday night, when we return home, she has plenty of stories to share and new moves to try out on her dad and brothers.

"Daddy, grab me in a headlock and try to hit me in the face!" Hubby obliges, grabbing her firmly and stuffing her head under his arm. "Uh...no. Not THAT way. Only choke me a little bit so I can show you what I learned! Daddy! You're not doing it right! You're supposed to let me grab your arm from behind! Let go! Quit trying so hard! How can I defend myself if you don't cooperate??! Obviously you don't know how to do an attack. NEVER MIND! You're too big. Forget it!"

The problem? Well, she learns these moves and practices them in class...on women. They're not trying to hurt each other. They're only trying to learn how to do the techniques. In order for these moves to work for her, she's going to have to hope she has an attacker who uses the "Gentle Strangle" method. Or hope her Daddy's there to hold them in a headlock while she punches them in the face!

5 comments:

Kristen@nosmallthing said...

The gentle strangle method...that's hilarious!

The way you described her in the conversation totally reminds me of my baby sister (she's 28 now...not really a baby).

The Momster said...

Ah The Bug came back from karate recently with bloody knuckles. Seems my child has no fear when it comes to battling her Senai when he tells her to HIT AS HARD AS SHE CAN. Maybe she'll be there to defend Darling Daughter as well. She'll just smack them into submission....

Meredith Teagarden (The Things We Carried) said...

oh no! Hopefuly daddy will be the only one she ever needs to show these moves.

Tammy said...

LOL! But a very good idea for her to be taking this class. They taught one at the women's college I attended....what a joke it was.

poppy fields said...

I bet she's learning more than she thinks. I am glad my youngest is trying a sport like this this year, I think she's gaining in self confidence.