Thursday, January 8, 2009

Taking...a deep...breath...

Last night was double-duty night for the boys. One Thursday nights one has Tae Kwon Do at the Y while the other has Jiu Jitsu...at the same time...on the other side of town. Normally, I would stay with Quatro at Tae Kwon Do so I can work out while he has class, and Darling Daughter or The Hubby would stay with Pip Squeak since he's only a mile or so from the house. But now that Darling Daughter's staying after school to condition for track...well...anyway I had to leave them both and run errands and so I wasn't there.

When I picked Quatro up from TKD, he was a little disturbed. It seems that during class he and another boy were whispering to each other and as things tend to go, only one of them got in "trouble" and had to do push-ups. Well, it wasn't Quatro. (I know...shocking isn't it? It's usually one of mine that ends up having to do the punishment while someone else gets away with murder.) Quatro says he felt sort of bad that he didn't get caught, but he wasn't going to drop and do 50 push-ups if he didn't have to. So after class, he was sitting up front waiting for me when the mom of the other boy approached. Apparently she didn't like her son having to do push-ups. She stuck her finger in my child's face and said, "YOU don't MESS with 'whatever his name is' during CLASS! You hear me!?" And then she stomped off with her kid.

Now, I know my child isn't perfect. He did cut up in class. But so did her little brown belt. So do other kids from time to time. Kids DO stuff like that.

I guess it was a good thing I wasn't there. Because I don't think I would have reacted in a Christian manner toward this woman. I'm usually there watching at least a portion of the class, and I've seen this woman many times. She always looks like she just sucked on a lemon. Never pleasant. I do feel like I should say something to her. Possibly jab my finger in HER face. (No, not really.) I've dealt with obnoxious parents before...but I don't like it much. What would you do? Throw a yoga ball at her head? Lash out with a stretchy work-out band?? Suggestions?

4 comments:

Jo said...

take the woman on! lol I know I would not appreciate someone doing that to one of my kids, heck not even one of my peers. That is rude a disrespectful.

Perhaps bring her some lemons in a nice basket so she always has some on hand. lmao

Tammy said...

I'm gonna have to go with throw a yoga ball at her head! LOL.

therextras said...

Not worth it. Writing about it - didn't that help? So long as Quatro is okay - help him understand the differences in adults, parents.

Let it go. If a situation is developing, an opportunity will come back to you to address it. Might need to involve the person who assigned the push-ups.

Marshall arts are great for kids. I'm pretty sure my children love me as much as they love their karate teacher. chkl. She sent several parents(and their children) packing if their behavior was anything like that woman.
Barbara

kristen@nosmallthing said...

Yikes, the nerve of some people. You know, she had no reason to do that. The better response from her would have been to tell her son that "when you screw around in class, you're going to be caught and you're going to have to pay the consequences." Period. What did she just teach him? That someone else is to blame for his mess-up. Not a good lesson to learn, if you ask me. Besides, a brown belt should know better.

Anyway,maybe chuck a lemon at her head. ;) No seriously, I'd ignore her, and deal solely with your son. Remind him of how badly he felt and use it as a lesson for the next time.