Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Good Old Days and The Bad Old Hair

Today's "Week of the Hubby" post is a reflection on the year 1970. I think. Hubby looks about three or four years old, so I'm assuming that's when this photo was taken. For further evidence...well, just look at the paneling on the wall.


That sweet little man in the plaid jacket and bow tie grew up to be much taller than both of his older sisters. I don't know what the occasion was and he doesn't remember either, but he thinks it was either Easter or a piano recital. I put my money on piano recital because every Easter photo I've seen of the three of them includes their enormous Easter baskets along with the white gloves and patent leather shoes.
I'm fairly certain that those dresses were made by my mother-in-law because she still sews like nobody's business. She probably created those hairdos as well. I don't even want to know how much Dippity Do it must have taken to get those perfect piles of curl up on top of their heads. Or how long they sat under the hair dryer in curlers. (Or why you would make your little girls wear their hair that way to begin with??) But aren't they absolutely adorable? I'm so glad my mom didn't have mad hairdo skillz. We were lucky to get combed and have a barrette.
Please also note...that is one of a loooonnnngggg line of pet Pekingese dogs that family has had through the years. They have a thing for dogs who have no noses and way too much fur.

4 comments:

a Tonggu Momma said...

MAN those dresses were high... as were the hairdos. Your husband looks adorable. Love the matching bowtie.

mendyc said...

What in the world is growing out the tops of their heads? They look like Chia pets! The hubby was actually kinda sorta maybe a little bit cute at one point in his life. Shhhh, don't tell him I said that. Oh and BTW, mama did torture me growing up. She used to make me sleep in those stupid spongy curlers all night long to try and get one little curl out of my hair. Do you even know how hard it wasd to try and sleep in those things?

Paul and Chelsea Gour said...

I recongnize that panaling! It covered my den...the room I spent the most time in! That picture is wonderful!

Scribbit said...

Ah, the 70s :) I don't know that I'd be brave enough to post pictures of myself.