Tuesday, December 30, 2008

2008: A Look Back

      I've spent a couple of days looking back over the posts from 2008, and come to the realization that blogging sure is a good way to keep track of all the stuff that happens over the course of a year.

      1. In spite of the Hubby's best efforts, I'm still driving the Envoy. I may be driving it till the wheels fall off. Then again, maybe not. Maybe it will spontaneously combust. At a safe distance from my house.

      2. The oldest has graduated from high school and completed his first semester of college with four A's and a B. And his mother has survived letting him become a "grown-up". Well, mostly a grown-up. See the next bullet point.

      3. The Oldest still does not have a JOB. Oh, he did work over Christmas break, for about 10 days. But now...nothing. Things are getting desperate I tell ya! He needs to be buying his own gas. And fast food. And presents for his girlfriend.

      4. I ended up not going to my 20th high school reunion. I figure that I keep in touch with the people I care about. Why spend $140 to see random folks for a few hours?

      5. Darling Daughter got her learner's permit this year and is learning to drive...slowly. Not learning slowly, driving slowly. She moves at a snail's pace. Better than driving too fast, I know, but we currently have to leave 30 minutes earlier if she's going to drive.

      6. Speaking of Darling Daughter, the knee has healed well, and she's planning on running track this season. When we went for her physical, she explained to the doctor that she intends to take up pole vaulting and hurdles. When he stepped out into the hall we could hear him ask the nurse "Is she NUTS? Pole Vaulting!?"

      7. My Super Bowl hero, Plaxico Burress, has fallen from heroship in my eyes. Sorry, but carrying a concealed weapon and shooting your own self in the leg? Not worthy of the pedestal after all.

      8. Lucy has grown into a beloved and extremely rotten family pet, and claimed her spot as TOP DOG OF THE BLOG. (Posts about Lucy still get the most hits...go figure.) Although these days she stays outside more than in. Why, oh why can't I potty train a dog properly? Anyone out there willing to take her long enough to housebreak her and then give her back?

      9. The Real Estate market is not getting any better. I don't care what people tell you, it just isn't. If you were considering a career in the housing market, may I say "Don't bother."

      10. I'm seriously considering going to school for something else. I just don't know what. I was thinking counseling, embalming people, or CSI work. Suggestions?

      11. At least gas prices are better than they were this time last year, right?

      Overall, I would have to say that 2008 has been a successful year for all of us. I can't complain. Hubby can. He can complain with the best of them. Mr. Pessimism. Gloom and Doom. That's him. But for some reason I'm happy. I must not be as smart as him.


      Things I look forward to in 2009:

      1. We're hoping to homeschool the twins for 6th grade. Wish me luck on that one. I'm going to need a lot of support from you homeschooling moms out there.

      2. I'm hoping that by spending time one-on-one Pip Squeak's understanding of math will improve.

      3. Still planning on getting rid of the Envoy for some kind of car. Or ramming it into a tree.

      4. Darling Daughter will turn Sweet 16 this year. Ugh. That's all I have to say about that. No mention will be made of dating or driving on her own. I'll think about that tomorrow.

      5. Possibly the Oldest will find a more permanent part-time job. Please get a job. PLEASE somebody hire this kid.

      6. Possibly I will find something I enjoy doing where I can actually earn money! That would be cool.

      7. Pip Squeak fights in his first tournament in February. And his second in March. Wait, did I just say that? My baby is fighting? On purpose? Well, a mom has to grow up sometime, right?
      8. We're headed to the British Virgin Islands again this winter. I hope to visit the lonely little island of Sandy Spit again...although my palm tree is long gone, so I guess I'll have to take an umbrella.
      9. I plan on continuing to work toward getting in better shape. I'm not doing too badly so far...I'm up to 4 miles a day (well, not EVERY day, but still) and hoping to double that. We'll see.
      10. Can't think of anything else and this post is just too long.

      HAPPY NEW YEAR!

      3 comments:

      a Tonggu Momma said...

      I vote for ramming that thing into a tree. As for the homeschooling - my sis homeschools her 11-year old (in addition to two other children). I'll be excited to hear how and where your journey takes you.

      mendyc said...

      You and the oldest could always stand on the side of the road with a "will work for food" sign. You get to pick your own hours.

      Want to home school one more 6th grader next year? I'm so not ready for the middle school drama!

      If your Envoy does decide to spontaneously combust, make sure it is parked next to my Expedition!

      HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

      Paul and Chelsea Gour said...

      I'd like to tag along for that British Virgin Isles trip! Where do I sign up?