Thursday, September 4, 2008

Sincerely 'Fro Me To You

If you're working your way through the posts over at We Are THAT Family today, you may have seen Tonggu Mommy's photos...they chronicle her aspirations to be a Solid Gold Dancer!
I never wanted to be on Solid Gold. No, I had other dreams. I was going to be Miss America. I wanted to wear the humongous crown and wave at the crowd while tears and snot ran down my face! Here's a photo from 1976 ( or 1977?) featuring little old 6 year old me in my stunning pageant attire. Custom-designed, itchy, and uncomfortable, hot pink eyelet dress, WITH crinolines underneath...lady-like white gloves...ruffly white anklet socks AND ruffly rumba panties...white patent leather shoes...and PLASTIC hair barrette. Oh yeah, I was stylin'.
Perhaps next week I'll share a photo of my pageant talent...a show-stopping tap routine to Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini...while wearing just such an outfit. Nah....maybe not.

For more embarrassing photos from years gone by, head on over to We Are That Family.

12 comments:

The Apron Queen said...

You were a beauty! How sweet! Those trophies are as big as you! :)

My Fro Post is There is a snake on my foot!

Happy Mommy said...

Now thats my kind of dream to be Miss America! I love the ruffle dress!

jennifer said...

What a Cutie Poo kiddo you were! You had the sweetest little smile.

Jen

P.S. He loves you... said...

How fun for you...never did this and only because I had stage fright!

a Tonggu Momma said...

Wait a minute... sorry... still looking... there you are!!! (I couldn't find you at first amid all of those ruffles.)

Oh, you crack me up! Seriously. Somehow I think your aspirations were more - shall we say genteel? You tapped; I shimmied. Ah, well, at least I outgrew my love of gold tassels. Otherwise...

Amy-littletoesandcheerios said...

Aw, I would have voted for ya. You were so cute. I too had those dreams.

We are THAT Family said...

That's a lot of ruffles! And some big trophies...how fun. I tried not to laugh, I really did.

Ramblings of Kimberly said...

Very cute and VERY PINK!!!

Valarie said...

Oh come on, you have to show the talent portion of the pageant. :)

Tammy said...

I agree with Tonngu that you kinda get lost in all the stuff in the photo! Lots o' pink and shiny stuff.

D... said...

You're a little girl after my own heart! Those were some big ruffles & trophies. :)

Thank you for your kind words on my blog. It's a tough time to be a girl. I guess it's never easy though.

I see on your profile that you have some fifth graders. My son is also in fifth grade.

Muthering Heights said...

You look PRECIOUS in those ruffles!!!