Friday, August 8, 2008

His help comes from the Lord.

Psalm 121
1 I lift up my eyes to the hills
where does my help come from?
2 My help comes from the LORD,

the Maker of heaven and earth.
7 The LORD will keep you from all harm

he will watch over your life;
8 the LORD will watch over your coming and going

both now and forevermore.

Psalm 91
1 Whoever goes to the LORD for safety, whoever remains under the protection of the Almighty,
2 Can say to him, "You are my defender and protector. You are my God; in you I trust."




It's so exciting to me when our children learn firsthand that God keeps His promises. How much does their faith increase when they pray the scripture, wait expectantly and then their prayers are answered? Here's how the Lord answered Pip Squeak's prayers last night:

This is Vacation Bible School week at our church. The kids are having a blast! Mostly. There's this one boy, though. "Bruiser" is a bully and a pest. He is constantly in trouble both at school and at church. He calls the Sunday School teacher an old goat. Bruiser delights in picking on one or two children and then saying, "I was just teasin' man, can't you take a joke?"

On the first day of VBS Bruiser found an easy target. The Pip Squeak. He had never singled out Pip before. Apparently this week seemed perfect timing... with all the additional neighborhood kids who show up for VBS Bruiser had an extra large audience. And so it began. On Tuesday Bruiser put his hands around Pip's throat and pushed him. Pip goes over like a lead balloon due to his balance issues. It's really funny to push a kid with Cerebral Palsy, right? On Wednesday Bruiser took the tip of Pip Squeak's shark tooth necklace and poked it into Pip's neck. Then tried to take his glasses. Then choked him again. Luckily, Bruiser was "only picking...geesh!"

Now would be the time to mention that The Hubby works side by side with Bruiser's dad. Yes. He has heard all the stories about Bruiser getting suspended from school, hitting kids, they've tried everything...etc., etc.

Wednesday night after VBS, Pip was worried and upset. Not in tears, but frustrated. Hubby and I talked about all the options with him, and he decided that he wanted to handle things himself. So, Hubby told him to: 1. Stay away from Bruiser as much as possible. 2. Do not confront Bruiser first. 3. Do not give any warning...if Bruiser put his hands on him again, just start hitting. (Don't start emailing me about condoning violence. This was a last resort, but kids do have to learn not to let others push them around. Also, Bruiser is a good 5-6 inches taller than Pip and probably outweighs him by 30 pounds.) And finally, we prayed about it with Pip. We prayed that night and we prayed again before VBS yesterday. We prayed that God would protect Pip Squeak from harm and help him keep a gentle spirit and turn away from Bruiser. We also prayed that if Bruiser would not leave him alone, Pip would have the courage to stand up for himself if necessary.

So how did things turn out? Well, of course Bruiser approached Pip Squeak as soon as VBS started. Pip told Bruiser to go away and don't bother him any more. And then Pip discovered the reason Bruiser had approached him. BRUISER APOLOGIZED! No, really! He did. And he didn't bother Pip again all night. Praise the Lord! Pip got into the car last night bubbling over with happiness. God kept His promise. Pip trusted that the Lord would keep him safe from harm, and He did. What a boast in faith for a little boy.








3 comments:

The Momster said...

Okay, I literally have tears in my eyes from reading this.

You know, those are my favorite verses - my own personal 'messages' from God at a time when I really needed Him.

Praise God! I am so happy for the Pip Squeak :)

Sugar-n-Spice said...

I love watching God show little ones how real He is. He must have a very special plan for "Pip". Beautiful!

Paul and Chelsea Gour said...

That post brought tears to my eyes. It was wonderful and I will read it to my boys when I get home. I love stories like this!